The Nap Dress® Shop

hill house nap dress

I think they’ve done a beautiful job with design, fabric, and construction. Again, I think it feels even fuller on me because of my height. It comes all the way down to the tops of my ankles, whereas I think it looks less full on taller gals when it’s more of a true midi length.

Where to buy the Hill House Home Ellie Nap Dress

The sleeves are not adjustable, but I found them to be a great length. I am usually somewhere between an XS and small in most dresses (or size 2!), but I heard that Hill House dresses run big, so I ordered the Ellie nap dress in an XS. It fit, but it felt like way too much fabric in the skirt to wear with flat sandals. I exchanged it for an XXS and while there’s not a huge difference in the length, I do think there’s a little less bulk in the skirt. Maybe it's the yards of cotton or its simple silhouette, but we could always use fresh ways to style out nap dresses (at least, when we aren't actually napping in them). Still, given the rate at which these dresses sell out, it's definitely worth it to explore some fun styling options you might not have thought up yet.

Is the Hill House Nap Dress worth buying?

While wearing each, I was evaluating material quality, cooling, versatility, comfort and design. I looove a good long sleeve dress, and the Grace Mini Nap Dress is a good one. Just like the dresses above, it has the signature Hill House nap dress smocking. I got a size small and it’s a little big but I don’t think it’s big enough to exchange for the size down. No matter what size you get in the Ellie, the smocked bodice in any nap dress is super stretchy, which is a really nice feature.

Add Stripes

The nap dresses come in a few different fabrics but the one I got is nearly 100% cotton (97% cotton, 3% elastane). It’s super lightweight and breathable which will be absolutely perfect for hot and humid summer days. To be honest, I’m so obsessed with my nap dress that I can't wait for it to come out of the wash or back from the cleaners (when I’m too lazy to do laundry). It's my go-to for all occasions, and it feels as appropriate for running errands as it does for going out to dinner.

How I Tested the Dresses

Hill House Home founder Nell Diamond had a pretty successful 2020—and she’s having an even more successful 2021, thanks to her wildly popular nap dress. If you’re on the petite side, I’d recommend going for the Elizabeth dress. It hits me right above my knees but still has the same flattering smocked top. My biggest complaint about the Nap Dress is that the Ellie is SO long. I am planning to get my Ellie dresses tailored before the summer to bring them up a bit so it’s more of a “midi” length. I could possibly even size down for the XXS but haven’t tried it on for comparison.

If you like the idea of a Hill House nap dress but you don’t like the ruffle sleeves – I totally understand. It has the same smocked bodice and flowy skirt, except instead of flutter sleeves, you can adjust and tie the straps to your liking. Truthfully, I like this style way better than the original Ellie. It feels more effortless and versatile even though it’s still just as comfortable and feminine. Despite their centuries-long history, nap dresses captured the American imagination a few years back when fashion got a work-from-home makeover. It wasn't long before everyone had an opinion on this polarizing style, popularized by Hill House.

Hill House Home's New Fall Collection Has Arrived and It's Already Selling Out - Entertainment Tonight

Hill House Home's New Fall Collection Has Arrived and It's Already Selling Out.

Posted: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 07:00:00 GMT [source]

Other Summer Frocks We Love

The holiday collection comes fully stocked with various winter-ready designs from luxurious jewel-tone velvets, gold-hued brocades and a ski-inspired print. Stunningly sophisticated, this dress will be a compliment-magnet at every last holiday soireé, including Thanksgiving dinner. This might just be a “me” issue but I’ve been worried about the straps stretching out from the weight of the dress when the dresses are hung on hangers.

hill house nap dress

These dresses keep the girls in place — I’m not wearing a bra in any of the photos in this post. I’ve heard from friends with bigger chests that they also can get away with not wearing a bra with these dresses. Two of the key differentiators from the Nap Dress were the lining and bodice. The Mallie Dress has a fitted lining, which I appreciated, as it felt more secure. However, that also made it a little warmer and less breezy than the Nap Dress.

I think part of it is the print, but mostly I just think this would look better on someone taller than my 5’2″ self. I got a size small and it fit in the top, but the skirt just feels too overwhelming on me. I’ve found it comfortable to wear on both hot 90-degree days and breezier summer nights. It's completely opaque in the white printed pattern I chose and hasn't shrunk or changed at all after multiple washes so far.

hill house nap dress

For me, it’s a dress I wear all the time in summer, so the price becomes worth it. It’s lightweight and breezy and you can wear a bra and the list goes on!! I also just suggested it to my friend who is pregnant and she confirmed that it’s also super comfortable with a baby bump! The smocked top stretches nicely and as I said above, the skirt isn’t restricting at all.

It also restricted my leg span when I needed to hop over the occasional puddle after a summer rain. It seemed like the Hill House Nap Dress reigned over the pandemic closet, and after wearing one for a week, it’s easy to see why. One of my favorite beauty experts, Jenny Patinkin, always says she’s after “lazy perfection,” and the Nap Dress epitomizes that description.

Popular new shades include the sumptuous emerald green dress, the festive burgundy velvet and Winter Toile print. If you love the designs, act fast—they’re already selling out in multiple sizes (each of these prints is unavailable in sizes larger than medium). I love an easy dress that you can throw on and BAM you feel stylish, put-together, and ready to conquer the day. I personally like to think of it as a dress that’s comfortable enough that you could, in theory, nap in them but is also cute enough for being out and about. My only real con was that the ruffle detailing on the neckline, which circles the entire top of the dress, does have a tendency to fold down under the arms.

I like the ruffled sleeves, which toe the line between short sleeves and cap sleeves, and the floral print is vibrant and flirty. Regarding the bodice, it’s one piece of fabric, including the straps, as opposed to the Nap Dress that had straps attached. Because of this, the ruffles don’t run under the arms, and therefore are not crushed downwards, which I liked, finding the crushed ruffles on the Nap Dress to look a little awkward. While Hill House has a stylish European summer feel, Tuckernuck’s dresses emit the glamour and sensibility of New England prep.

The dresses have recently gone up in price to $150 (or more for certain fabrics). It’s definitely not the cheapest sundress, especially compared to what you’ll find from Old Navy or Target. I do think it’s a case of “you get what you paid for” and the dresses feel well constructed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New York, New York Cruise Port, 2024, 2025 and 2026 Cruises from New York City

Homes for Sale in Hattiesburg, MS

How Much Does Website Design Cost? Full Breakdown 2024